DJ CROWN PRINCE PODCAST!!! SUBSCRIBE AND SPREAD THE LOVE

Friday, November 11, 2011

:::::GOTTA EAT::::: MICHAELIS GENUINE FOOD & DRINK (MIAMI)



Have you ever been to a restaurant where everything was excellent? When I say everything I mean atmosphere, food, service, and the overall experience of being there. Was the food so good that despite having ordered for yourself, you also feel the need to sample your friend's plate, hoping they wonít mind since you never really established it was ok to come and stick your fork in their food? Well if this is you, or if you are simply looking for some good food, check out Michaelís Genuine Food & Drink in Miamiís Design District. My first experience at Michaelís came earlier this year. I was looking for a place to take my mom for Motherís Day and came across this gem. Since then, I have been back numerous times, always trying something new from their changing menu. They insist on using fresh seasonal ingredients, many of which are locally sourced. Iíll try not to keep this blog too long (I easily make minimum-page requirements in school), and stick to the highlights of my most recent visit with Mr.Crown Prince himself.

DRINKS:
For no particular reason aside from the fact that Prince is a traveling man, we went to Michaelís on a Tuesday night. The restaurant was busy but not so much that the staff was inattentive. Our server was on point, never missing a beat. The drinks were really good. Nothing you would (or could) order in a fete of course, they used fresh passion fruit in one cocktail, pulp so noticeable you might have to clear out your straw. My tequila drink had agave nectar, bell pepper, and other spices. The menu is split up in sections of small, medium, large, extra-large, sides, and snacks. For all of my sommeliers out there, the wine list is extensive I am sure you would be quite happy with the choices. Not a fan of alcohol? No problemo, check out their homemade sodas. Over the summer I had their lychee soda and the fall menuís spiced apple soda this visit was unbelievable. Again, seasonal and fresh ingredients are evident even in the drink choices. Yum!







THE FOOD:
The crisp hominy was so good I wish it was available everywhere. Seasoned perfectly with chile and a lime to suit, I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't like it. Of course anything fried is good! Their hand-cut potato chips with homemade onion dip is also good although if one had to choose, pick the hominy! Not wanting to eat too heavy, we skipped the extra-large and large plates to do a tapas-style dinner. While ceviche is always on Michaelís menu, the fish selection adjusts. This visitís fresh cobia + avocado + mandarin orange = citrusy ceviche goodness! I know for many people the idea of cold fish cooked in lemon juice seems a little odd. Prince didn't seem too excited initially but I guarantee he enjoyed it. I'm almost positive if he ever makes a trek to Peru, he would indulge in the countryís excellent ceviche after this experience. Octopus anyone? This is another favorite of mine. I hate olives! I despise them really. The grilled octopus is served on a bed of them. Sure I still hate them enough that I won't even touch them, but the octopus is so good that I can tolerate their presence on my plate. If you enjoy eggs, their baked farm-egg with gruyere cheese and crostini is delish! While I managed to make Prince a fan of the previous, he was adamant about not liking eggs. Oh well, more for me I say! Also on the table were fingerling potatoes and grilled calabaza. For the pork and beef eaters, Michaelís has plenty of options. Iím a chicken and fish lover, so more for you!




DESSERT:
I'm a huge fan of the Food Network. Food Network has this show, The Best Thing I Ever Ate. Would you like to take a guess which restaurant had not one, but two desserts featured? Yep, MICHAELíS! Included (of course) was my favorite dessert of theirs: the tangerine creamsicle pot de crËme. Imagine two small sugary donuts served with a small pot of tangerine creamsicle goodness and another with blackberry tarragon preserves. Iím really a chocolate girl but this is one of the few times that I opt for a non-chocolate dessert (the other being Sugarcaneís torrejas). I canít seem to order any other dessert because I love this one so much. Iím almost sorry I let Prince have my other donut. Fortunately I know the next visit isnít too far away. (Note to Crown Prince: I am not sharing it again). I have had the opportunity to sample other desserts in the past and while all are extremely delicious, I just love that this one. It doesnít sit too heavy at the end of a good meal. It almost makes me think Iím eating healthy (almost.)


EVERYTHING ELSE:
Miami is not a New York or San Francisco if your looking to compare the amount of excellent dining places. Still, Miami has a lot to offer. Michaelís is well known among foodies in Miami. I would love to hear back from anyone that has been to the Michaelís Genuine Food & Drink other location in Grand Cayman. The ambiance of Miamiís Design District is easily enjoyable. It is laid back and casual yet sophisticated with an artsy vibe. Need a place to celebrate a birthday, anniversary, or other special occasion? Michaelís should fit the bill. Speaking of bills, how much is it do you ask? Well I'll be honest; if I was broke I would wait until someone was treating or payday. A bill for two persons not being overly indulgent and with two drinks each might set you back about $100-120 (not including tip). The experience is worth it. Every person I have taken raves about it and wishes they could come back. After our visit, I also saw a recommendation in one of my travel magazines. Oh yes, this place has some fans. So if you are in the South Florida area and have yet to check out Michaelís Genuine Food & Drink, stop lagging. Go! OpenTable does free reservations (also recommended).

Author: Chrissy

Michaelís Genuine Food & Drink
130 Northeast 40th Street, Miami, FL 33137 (305) 573-5550
MICHAELIS GENIUNE FOOD & DRINK

No comments:

Post a Comment